Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2019

My T1D Story - Part 2

Hello again!

If you want to check out Part 1 of my story, read it here!

I mentioned previously, that I am a teacher. Because I had my son about 10 weeks before the end of the year, I was able to take maternity leave through the rest of the school year and then had summer break to be home with him as well. I spent five glorious months with my brand new baby and my daughter who was now three. There were some long days (where are my coffeeholics at?), but taking that time was something I will never regret.

The end of summer rolled around and I was struggling to keep my baby boy fed with breastmilk alone. I had been supplementing with formula since about week two, because he wasn't gaining enough weight. My boy was and always has been a GOOD eater! Needless to say, breastfeeding wasn't the easiest once he got used to getting it from the bottle and getting as much as he wanted.  Once I was back at work full-time I pretty much stopped breastfeeding. I tried to keep up with pumping, but my schedule was all over the place and I just wasn't committed to it anymore.

So it's mid-August and I was back to work, stressed over my waning milk production, trying to keep up with my kiddos and figure out our new schedule. Life was nuts! At work, I wasn't keeping up with drinking water like I had been all summer, so I noticed that I was really thirsty when I got home at the end of the day. I just craved ice water all evening. Well, when you drink that much water in the evening before bed and you've recently had a second child, you're going to have to wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.  All of these things are normal, right?!

I was convinced that I was just transitioning and finding a new normal, so it really didn't even cross my mind at that point that maybe the diabetes was back.  All of a sudden it's September 23, a Saturday, and I finally remember to check my blood sugar when I wake up in the morning. I checked it and it was 349. Whoa! I had never been that high before...EVER! I mentioned the number to my hubby, but just thought something was off.  I planned to check it again the next morning and just tried to ignore it the rest of the day.

The next morning, I checked my fasting glucose again and it was 370. So I checked it again right away and it was something similar. Now the worry was starting to set in. However, my husband had left for a work trip at 3:30 am and it was Homecoming Week at school (I'm the Student Council advisor, so that meant it was going to be a hectic week). I brushed it off, thinking I would deal with it next week after he was home and I had fewer things going on.

Enter guardian angel.

The next day, Monday, I was getting things set up for Homecoming Coronation in our gym. I was working with our technology director, who also happens to be an awesome T1D mom. I mentioned to her that I had a couple high blood sugar numbers very nonchalantly in our conversation that afternoon. She asked what they were, I told her, and she looked at me and told me to make the call now. I didn't really understand why she was SO concerned, but assured her I would when coronation was over and I had a chance later that day. She made me promise and I agreed (still thinking she was overreactting a bit - sorry C)!

Coronation happened, I was back in my office and working and she came in and asked me if I had made the appointment yet. I said no, but I would call right away. So I did. I called.

I got an appointment to get blood work done the next morning and I was going to meet with the doctor the morning after that to go over the results. Remember, it was still Homecoming Week and my husband was halfway across the United States on a business trip. To say I was getting more stressed, would be a large understatement.

Stay tuned for Part 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment